Chapter I. General Provisions
Article 1 Characters
This evaluation activities are initiated by The Future Science Awards Foundation Limited., co-organized by Beijing Huairou Future Forum Technology Development Center (hereinafter referred to as the Future Forum.)
Article 2 Purposes
The purposes of Bylaws of the Future Science Prize are:
To encourage the discovery and breakthrough of science.
To promote the development of science in China.
To enlighten Chinese people's cognition and longing for science.
To stimulate the unlimited energy of China's scientific and technological innovation.
To ensure the objective and impartial nature of the Future Science Prize.
To enhance its credibility and standardize the organization of the awards.
Article 3 Scope of application
The bylaws applies to all the categories for the Future Science Prize.
Article 4 Goals
The Future Science Prize aims to reward scientists who have accomplished outstanding scientific and technological achievements in China (including mainland China, Hong Kong, Macau and Taiwan.)
Article 5 Principles
The Evaluation process shall be conducted in accordance with the principle of fairness, and credibility so as to ensure the independence of the awards and prevent any organization or individual from going beyond the regulations to interfere with the process.
Article 6 Organs
In carrying out the above principles and purposes and ensure the objective impartiality of the awards, the organs of the Future Science Prize shall consist of:
- the Future Science Prize Donors Congress (hereinafter referred to as the "Donors Congress")
- the Future Science Prize Science Committee (hereinafter referred to as the "Science Committee")
- the Future Science Prize Executive Committee (hereinafter referred to as the "Executive Committee")
- the Future Science Prize Supervisory Committee (hereinafter referred to as the "Supervisory Committee")
- the Future Science Prize Fundraising Committee (hereinafter referred to as the "Fundraising Committee")
It shall be the responsibility of them to manage and supervise the event. The Secretariat, reports to the Executive Committee, is responsible for organizing the evaluation activities of the Awards.
Chapter II Prize
Article 7 Categories
The Future Science Prize annually grants three awards: "Life Science Prize", "Physical Science Prize" and "Mathematics and Computer Science Prize". The laureates are announced before the end of each year.
Article 8 Targets
- The Life Science Prize shall award to the life-science related topics and applied research.
- The Physical Science Prize shall award to the physical-science related topics and applied research.
- The Mathematics and Computer Science Prize shall award to the mathematics and computer science related basis and applied research.
Article 9 Criteria
The awards and their criteria are as follows:
- has made significant international impacts
- has a spirit of originality, long-term importance or time-tested
- is completed mainly in the Greater China region (including Mainland China, Hong Kong, Macao, and Taiwan. There is no restriction on the nationalities of the nominees).
Article 10 Rewards
The Future Science Prize is a $1 million award, given annually to the winners of Life Science Prize, Physical Science Prize, and the Mathematics and Computer Science Prize.
Article 11 Laureates
The number of Laureates is determined by the most prominent person in the same group. In principle, the number of winners per award does not exceed five.
Chapter III Organs
Article 12 Donors Congress
The Donors Congress is the supreme authority of the Future Science Prize and consists of all future donors of the Prize or their designated surrogates. Stated meetings of the Council shall be held at least one time annually.
The Council shall have the power to:
- Evaluate and approve the Future Science Prize Bylaws and its amendments.
- Evaluate and approve the membership of donors.
- Evaluate and approve the membership of the Science Committee.
- Evaluate and approve the membership of the Supervisory Committee.
- Evaluate and approve the membership of the Fundraising Committee.
- Evaluate and approve all categories and scope of the prize.
- Elect the representative of donors of the Executive Committee.
- Deliberate and approve the annual financial statements and annual work reports.
- Other articles not specified in the bylaws.
The Donors Congress is attended by more than two thirds of the donors, and more than two thirds of the donors present at the assembly resolution make it valid. When the donor himself fails to attend the donor conference, he or she may in writing, entrust a surrogate to attend. The opinion of the surrogate is regarded as the donor's own opinion.
Article 13 Science Committee
The Science Committee is responsible for the formulation and implementation of the prize rules. The list of scientific members is approved by the Donors Congress. In principle, no more than seven scientific members shall be nominated for each award. Members shall be appointed for three-year terms and shall be eligible for reappointment for a maximum term of not more than six years. In principle, the change of personnel in the Science Committee shall not exceed one-third of the total number of members in a year, and members cannot be returned to the committee within one year after resignation from membership.
Each Prize has an independent Award Committee, which is responsible for the selection of candidates for the Prize. The annual Awards Committee members is designated by the Science Committee. Each Awards Committee consists of no more than seven members, one Chairman of the Awards Committee who is chosen among the members of the committee. Each Awards Committee shall hold at least two meetings during the evaluation period.
Duties of the Awards Committee Chairman:
- Convene and preside the assessment work of the list of nominees.
- Organize the internal discussion of the Awards Committee.
- Responsible for writing and confirming external documents of the prize.
- Implement the relevant resolutions of the plenary session of the Science Committee and assure its implementation.
- Assist the Secretariat in recommending and organizing the evaluation and promotion work of the Awards, including annual press conference, award recipients' academic presentations and academic awards during the award ceremony.
The membership of the Science Committee is validated by the Science Committee itself, the vote of more than two-thirds of all its members is valid and the decision of appointing or dismissing anyone is taken by the Donors Congress.
If a member of the Science Committee does not abide with the law and discipline related to honesty and morality, the Supervisory Committee may launch an impeachment on him or her. The decision shall be taken by three-fourths of all the members of the Science Committee except the member himself and shall be approved by the Donors Congress.
If a member of the Science Committee does not act or there is any other case that is not suitable for continuing to serve as a member of the Science Committee, the vote shall be passed by more than two-thirds of all the members of the Science Committee, which does not include the member himself, to persuade the member to withdraw on his own and after examination and approval by the Donors Congress he or she can be dismissed.
The Science Committee has a rotating system, and the power is exercised by a Chairperson elected for one year mandate.
The Chairperson of the Science Committee reports to the Donors Congress, has the following powers in accordance with the Future Science Prize Bylaws:
- Convenes and presides over the Future Science Prize evaluation.
- Makes sure the resolutions of the Science Committee Plenary Assembly are implemented.
- Confirms and signs the relevant external documents on behalf of all Science Committee members.
- Participates in the Executive Committee as a representative of the Science Committee.
Article 14 Executive Committee
The Executive Committee is the executive body of the Future Science Prize. It has seven members and consists of three members of the Science Committee, three donors representatives and one Supervisory Committee member. Among them, three members of the Science Committee are appointed by the Chairman of each Awards Committee of the year. Representatives of donors and members of the Supervisory Committee are elected by the Donors Congress and the Supervisory Committee respectively. The members of the Executive Committee serve a term of one year and may be reelected after the expiration of the term.
The responsibilities of the Executive Committee are as follows:
- Responsible for the Future Science Prize evaluation work.
- Responsible for organizing press conferences, awards conferences, seminars and other activities related to the awards.
- Initiate a motion on major issues related to the revision of the Articles of Bylaws, awards and addition or dismissal of donors, and submit them to the Donors Congress for approval.
- As the only external agency of the Future Science Prize, it is responsible for accepting and handling all kinds of inquiries and constitutional interpretations related to the awards in the community.
- Formulate and submit annual financial statements and annual work reports.
- Nominate, add or dismiss the Supervisory Committee members.
- Nominate, add or dismiss the Fundraising Committee members.
The Secretariat, under the leadership of the Executive Committee,handles routine work to ensure that the Future Science Prize work is done smoothly. Its Secretary-General conducts daily work.
Article 15 Supervisory Committee
It shall be the responsibility of the Supervisory Committee to give legal and financial professional advice in the bylaws and rules in order to establish and improve the quality of the awards. It is responsible for overseeing the selection process, fund management, and raising the credibility of the awards among the public and donors. The Supervisory Committee consists of at least one legal officer and financial auditor. The list of the Supervisory Committee members is approved by the Donors Congress. The nomination or dismissal of the members of the Supervisory Committee shall be done by the Executive Committee after approval by the Donors Congress.
Article 16 Fundraising Committee
The Fundraising Committee is responsible for raising and managing donations funds, the nomination or dismissal of its members shall be done by the Executive committee after approval by the Donors Congress.
Chapter IV Nominees and candidates
Article 17 Production
Candidates for each Award will be nominated and approved by the Science Committee and those who personally submit their application or get recommended by other people will not be accepted. The nominees are recommended by the Science Committee. The nominees recommended by each Science Committee must be confirmed and approved by the Science Committee before they can be nominated.
Article 18 Nomination
Each nominee may submit nominations once a year for a maximum of five years. When the Secretariat issues a nomination invitation to a nominee, it is necessary to remind the nominee whether he or she has to extend the nomination letter of the past year. If the nominee abandons the extension, he or she needs to inform the Secretariat or submit a new nomination. The nomination shall be conducted independently and the nominee cannot be recommended by joint name.
Article 19 Supplementary and revised list of candidates
Science Committee members do not have the right to conduct award-winning work. However, if there are omissions or mistakes in the candidates for finding a particular job during the evaluation, the Science Committee may supplement or amend the list of candidates for the job.
Chapter V Evaluation
Article 20 Selection process
Candidates for the Future Science Prize will be voted on by the Awards Committee, based on the nominee's recommendation, with no more than three candidates for each award. After the candidates have been identified, more than five international experts in the field designated by the Scientific Committee will evaluate their work based on their skills. Scientists can give due consideration to the rotation and balance of each award in the course of the evaluation process. In principle, each award shall not produce the winner in a discipline for three consecutive years. In the light of the evaluation of international experts, the final list of winners is determined by the Science Committee's reference to international experts by secret ballot., the vote shall be passed by more than one-second of all the members of the Science Committee. If the Science Committee considers that any candidates this year does not meet the criteria for the award, the vote shall be passed by more than one-second of all the members of the Science Committee to confirm this year's award winner vacancy.
Article 21 Laureates
After the ballot has been closed, the Chairperson of the Science Committee will notify the Laureates by telephone and inform them of their rights and obligations. They can choose to accept or reject the award. If the winner rejects, the Science Committee will re-vote on the other candidates and determine the new Laureates.
In order to promote the spirit of science and expand their influence among young people, the Laureates have the obligation to do the Scientific Communication Charity Ambassador, attend academic reports organized by the Secretariat, the award ceremony for the Future Science Prize and at least two public speeches.
The Laureates shall adhere to academic ethics, uphold the spirit of science, abide with the integrity of scientific research, shall not do anything contrary to the purpose and principles of the Future Science Prize.
Article 22 Proactive disclosure and principleof avoidance
The scientific committee shall promise "credibility above all else" in the "Future Science Prize Science Committee Commitment". In the evaluation process, when the Science Committee first see the nominee list, they should disclose whether or not it has any conflict of interest, including the relationship between teachers and students, the relationship between relatives and friends and the project cooperation (the project ending period shall not exceed five years), business partnerships, competition and other relationships that may affect the fairness of the evaluation process. The specific procedures for disclosure are formulated by the Executive Committee and supervised by the Supervision Committee.
Science Committee members must waive their qualification to become award candidates during their tenure and within two years after they leave office. For members with conflicts of interest, the Supervisory Committee shall determine whether the conflict of interest affects the fairness of the selection work and whether the member should avoid or abstain from voting on the assessment for final confirmation.
Article 23 Confidentiality
All staff involved in the evaluation of the Future Science Prize (including Science Committee members and Supervisory Committee members) have the duty of confidentiality for all accreditation work. Confidentiality agreements should be signed with a confidentiality period of fifty years.
Chapter VI Awards
Article 24 Award ceremony
The Executive Committee is responsible for organizing the Awards Ceremony of the Future Science Prize, clarifying to the public the reasons for the awards and the academic contributions of each of the Laureates.
Chapter VII Supplementary articles
Article 25 Approval, amendments and interpretations of the Bylaws
The revision of the Future Science Prize Bylaws shall be done by the Executive Committee, approved by the Donors Congress before its interpretation by the management committee.
Article 26 Effectiveness and implementation
The Future Science Prize Bylaws comes into effect and shall be implemented from its promulgation date.
The Future Science Prize ExecutiveCommittee